In this episode, I talk with Dr. Ivan Misner, the founder of the world’s largest business networking organization,? BNI (Business Network International).
I know a lot of people who have participated in local BNI chapters, and many of them swear by it.? BNI has chapters which only take 1 or 2 professionals from a particular vocation (i.e. 1 masseuse, 1 realtor, 1 accountant, etc.) and then the group meets weekly, gets to know one another, and refers business around.
BNI boasts that it generated 5.4 million referrals representing $6.5 billion in business amongst its members last year alone. Not too bad, huh?
Dr. Misner has written 18 books on the importance of face to face referrals and other subjects, including Networking Like a Pro, Business Networking and Sex, and Masters of Networking (referral links).
In this interview, we discuss:
- the difference between?face-to-face networking and online networking
- why face-to-face networking still matters in a social media world.
- how to use networking to establish credibility
- how to avoid “premature solicitation” when meeting and getting to know people
- how to be create credibility by increasing your visibility online.